… because we are hungry.
I care about sustainable food, access for the hungry and a viable future for us all. I must, then, also care about water.
This year’s theme for World Water Day is: ” The World Is Thirsty Because We Are Hungry “.
- It takes 10x the amount of water for the production of a 1 kg of beef, vs. a 1 kg of wheat.
- By 2025, 2/3rds of the population could live in water stressed areas.
- 90% of our total water consumption goes to the production of food.
Do you care? Then take action!
- Learn how much water is on your plate.
- Calculate your overall water footprint.
- Make conscious choices to lessen your , including those in your diet.
- Encourage companies and governments to seek improvements in the food chain to cut water and food loss and waste
- Continue to read, learn, and spread the word about sustaining our water.
- Food bloggers, post your photos! Peas and Thank You & the Healthy Everythingtarian, are some of my favorite bloggers…with plenty of great pictures to share!
From field to fork, you have the power of change.